Try making your own homemade crayons that are safe for kids to use! This is easy, fun, and are made from natural ingredients which is a bit different than a commercial crayon. See just how easy it is!
An additional bonus is that these crayons smell so good, plus you don’t have to worry if your kids put them in their mouths.
- Silicone mold for crayons (try using different shapes to make it fun!)
- Double boiler (if not read steps down below for different options)
- Measuring cups
- ¾ cup of beeswax
- 6 tablespoons of carnauba wax
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa butter
- 1 tsp of crayon pigment (see colors below for how you can do that)
- 1 can of mold release spray
- 6 pieces stir sticks
Red – Australian red clay
Pink – Beetroot powder
Yellow - Turmeric powder
Black – Activated charcoal
Brown – cocoa powder
Melt the beeswax in the double boiler or if you don’t have a double boil place a smaller pot in a bigger pot that is filled with one inch of water. Bring it to a low simmer.
Add the carnauba wax and cocoa butter to the melted wax. Mix well.
Pour into different measuring cups with the different powders you may have. Mix well, and fast.
Pour into molds. Wait 1 hour for it to cool.